Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Why Are You Here?


U nfortunately, this is not a post about your existential meaning. In fact, if you're searching blogs for that, I'm taking it upon myself to tell you right now that you will never find that answer on the internet. Look up at the stars, stand next to the ocean, maybe even turn off your computer monitor. Okay, life-advise from the peanut gallery aside...


I have some feelings I need to put out there about the world. No, not "the world"--in the sense of "I have the worst singing voice in the world"--this is bigger, but much more refined. I recently graduated with a bachelor of science in a field that quite literally tries to encompass all matter, something called Society & Environment. Well great, Berkeley, way to encompass all living and non-living things in existence and call it a major--you all sure have some presumptuous goals for your grads. And after years under this umbrella of hard, soft, and prickly sciences, I have some lingering questions and lofty suggestions.

The question that lies in many hearts, but far fewer mouths is how do I change the world? Whoa, hold on there a minute, what world are we talking about? To get back to my more "refined" world, I'm talking about physical space, time, and matter; I'm talking about flora and fauna and culture and urban sprawl and nuclear energy and technological divides and history and scientific uncertainties; I'm talking about the future. I might sound over-indulgent, but I need to impress upon you that I don't mean my own world--the things that make my personal day to day life go around--I'm writing about something bigger, because I'm dreaming of something bigger.

I want this intro post to be over-arching, because my blog will cover many, many things. On the docket for this week is a discussion on why going to law school for environmental law in order to influence corporations and the environment may be the worst possible decision of any young grad's life. But why? Don't law degrees give you a societal stamp of approval stating that you, Mr. or Ms. law degree holder, are superior and rollin in the post-grad school 6 figure salaries and signing bonuses? My dears, you will soon learn that the legal field is, after all, a business, and big business comes with big risk.

Also up this week, the time-honored debate over conservation and preservation. Is preservation a relevant argument in modern society? Are humans capable of sustainable harvest and conservation in the age of drought, food shortage, and uncertain global climate change? Fine questions, warranting thoughtful unpacking.

And lastly in the coming week, I will be addressing Susan Cain's concept of the introvert and what the heck that has to do with the environment as we understand it today. Some things to look at for homework: did Gifford Pinchot "win" the Yosemite Valley debate against John Muir because he was an extrovert? What about Hetch Hetchy Valley? More on this here.

Okay, mull that over and check back in tomorrow. Also, feel free to let me know what you think I should talk about regarding environmental science, management, policy, and law--I'd love to hear from you.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment